West Virginia 43, Arizona State 42
The final bowl game before the National Championship game turned into a duel between two quarterbacks, as West Virginia’s Skyler Howard and Arizona State’s Mike Bercovici both lit up the Cactus Bowl. In the end, the Mountaineers were able to hold off the Sun Devils to finish 8-5 on the season.
Player of the game
- Howard completed 28-of-51 passes and set Cactus Bowl records of 532 passing yards and five touchdowns.
- The teams combined for 950 passing yards, setting a Cactus Bowl record.
- Arizona State kicker Zane Gonzalez became the Sun Devils all-time leading scorer on a third quarter extra point, surpassing Luis Zendejas’ mark of 380 points.
- Bercovici completed 29-of-52 passes for 418 yards and four touchdowns.
- The teams combined for 1,196 total yards.
- Sun Devils wide receiver Devin Lucien caught nine passes for 144 yards and a touchdown.
- Four West Virginia wide receivers caught at least four passes for at least 80 yards.
- Sun Devils wide receiver Tim White had 210 yards in kick and punt returns, and also returned a blocked extra point for a touchdown late in the first half.
- With 2:19 left, Howard hit David Sills for a 15-yard touchdown pass, Sills’ only catch of the game, which proved to be the winning score.