Southern Miss Golden Eagles (3-2) at Marshall Thundering Herd (4-1)Kickoff Time:
Friday, October 9, 7:00 PMLocation:
Joan C. Edwards Stadium, Huntington, West VirginiaTV:
Conference USA power Marshall (4-1) has won the last four games in its series with Southern Miss (3-2) but the all-time series is tied at five wins apiece. Both teams carry momentum into this game, coming off lopsided victories last weekend.
Players to watch
- The Golden Eagles turned their offense over to junior quarterback Nick Mullens, and he’s responded by putting up the best numbers of his career. Mullens already has more touchdown passes this season (14) than he did in all of 2014 (12), and he’s eclipsed the 300-yard mark four times en route to 1,691 passing yards. He was named the C-USA Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against North Texas last Saturday.
- Marshall running back Devon Johnson didn’t play last week, but Thundering Herd coach Doc Holliday said there’s a “good chance” he’ll play this week. He has a team-high 390 rushing yards on 6.6 yards per carry in three-plus games this season.
- Southern Miss has already equaled its overall win total (3) and conference win total (1) from all of 2014.
- Mullens is leading an offense that averages 40 points per game.
- Marshall running back Tony Pittman was impressive in Johnson’s absence, running for 256 yards and three touchdowns the last two games.
- The Thundering Herd are 17-2 dating back to the beginning of last season.
- Marshall ranks in the top fourth nationally in scoring defense, allowing 19 points per game through five games this season.
- Johnson left Marshall’s game against Norfolk State on Sept. 19 and sat out last week with an undisclosed injury. He ran for 1,767 yards a year ago.