Akron Zips (7-5) vs. Utah State Aggies (6-6)Bowl Game:
Idaho Potato BowlKickoff Time:
Tuesday, December 22, 3:30 PMLocation:
Albertsons Stadium, Boise, IdahoTV:
Utah State stumbled down the stretch, losing three of its last four games, but did enough to earn its fifth consecutive bowl appearance. Akron is back in a bowl game for the first time since 2005 after posting just its eighth winning record in 30 years as an FBS program.
Players to Watch
- Akron running back Connor Hundley has 10 of the Zips’ 19 rushing touchdowns this season, and led the team with 883 rushing yards.
- Aggies linebacker Nick Vigil is second among FBS players with 141 tackles, and also has 3.0 sacks and one forced fumble.
- Utah State is 1-2 in three previous trips to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, winning in 2012.
- Akron’s only previous bowl appearance was a 38-31 defeat against Memphis in the 2005 Motor City Bowl.
- Utah State is 3-5 all-time in bowl games, with all three victories in the last three seasons.
- Akron averages 24 points per game, which ranks 99th in the FBS.
- This will be the first-ever meeting between the two schools.
- A loss for Utah State would mean their first losing season since 2010.
- Akron linebacker Jatavis Brown was named the MAC defensive player of the year after leading the Zips with 108 tackles and 10.5 sacks.
- Zips running back D.J. Jones is questionable with an undisclosed injury.