USC 42 Utah 24
No. 6 Utah’s playoff hopes took a big hit with a blowout loss at the Coliseum. The Utes led 14-7 after the first quarter, but USC stormed back with 21 points in the second quarter. USC snapped a two-game losing streak with the victory.
Player of the game
- USC freshman linebacker Cameron Smith had three interceptions, running them back for 122 total yards and a touchdown.
- USC improved to 10-4 all-time against USC with the win.
- Utah, which entered the contest allowing just 19.5 points per game, gave up a season high in points.
- USC wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster caught eight passes for 143 yards and a score.
- Utah had an eight-game winning streak snapped with the loss.
- USC quarterback Cody Kessler completed 21 of 28 passes for 264 yards and a touchdown.
- Utah running back Devontae Booker, who entered the game averaging 130.5 rushing yards per game, had a season-low 62 yards on the ground.
- USC went 2-for-2 on fourth-downs attempts, with both plays resulting in short touchdowns from the goal line.
- Utah freshman wide receiver Britain Covey caught seven passes for 129 yards and two touchdowns.
- With a little more than a minute left in the first half, Smith intercepted his second Travis Wilson pass of the game and shook off Wilson's tackle attempt on his way to 54-yard touchdown. The play extended USC’s lead to 28-14.
- USC center Toa Lobendahn (left knee) and safety Marvell Tell (shoulder) both did not play in the second half.
- USC vs. California (10/31)
- Utah vs. Oregon State (10/31)