San Jose State 33 UNLV 27
San Jose State twice blew fourth quarter leads and ultimately needed overtime to trip up UNLV and even its record at 3-3. The loss snapped a modest two-game winning streak for the Rebels, who fell to 1-1 in Mountain West play.
Player of the game
Spartans quarterback Kenny Potter completed 30-of-48 passes for 329 yards and two touchdowns and also carried three times for 33 yards and another score.
- This was Potter’s first 300-yard game as a member of the Spartans.
- The Spartans extended their current winning streak in the series to six games, and hold a 14-5-1 lead overall.
- Spartans running back Tyler Ervin was his team’s leading rusher (18 carries, 73 yards and a touchdown) and receiver (eight catches, 74 yards and a touchdown).
- Both teams were evenly matched in many facets, including first downs (23-22 advantage for UNLV) and third down situations (7-of-16 for San Jose State, 7-of-17 for UNLV).
- Rebels junior tight end Andrew Price caught two passes for 47 yards and a touchdown -- his first career score.
- UNLV quarterback Kurt Palandech completed 15-of-30 passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns and also led his team with 18 carries for 47 yards.
After UNLV missed a field goal on its first possession of overtime, Ervin did all the work on San Jose State’s drive, rushing four times on a drive which concluded with his 2-yard touchdown plunge for the win.
- San Jose State vs. San Diego State (10/17)
- UNLV vs. Fresno State (10/16)