Ohio State 49 Rutgers 7
With J.T. Barrett starting at quarterback for the first time this season, Ohio State’s offense looked sharp in a blowout win over Rutgers. The Buckeyes should remain the No. 1 team in the country and are looking like a serious threat to repeat as national champions.
Player of the Game
- Barrett completed 14-of-18 passes for 223 yards and three touchdowns, and also rushed for 101 yards and two more scores.
- Ohio State is 2-0 all-time against Rutgers, with the other win coming last year by a score of 56-17.
- Rutgers wide receiver Leonte Carroo, who entered the night averaging 118 receiving yards per game, had just 55 receiving yards as he was hampered by an ankle injury.
- Ohio State stretched its FBS-best winning streak to 21 games.
- Rutgers had just 12 first downs, compared to 27 for Ohio State.
- Ohio State running back and Heisman Trophy hopeful Ezekiel Elliott rushed 19 times for 142 yards and two touchdowns.
- Rutgers quarterbacks Chris Laviano and Hayden Rettig completed just 13-of-27 passes.
- Ohio State’s 49 points tied a season high.
- Ohio State punted just once.
- With 6:48 left in the first half and Ohio State at midfield, Barrett hit wide receiver Michael Thomas near the sidelines. Thomas made a quick cut toward the middle of the field and raced past a couple of Rutgers defenders for a touchdown and a 14-0 Ohio State lead.
- Ohio State vs. Minnesota (11/7)
- Rutgers vs. Wisconsin (10/31)