Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles (2-1) @ Nebraska Cornhuskers (1-2) Kickoff Time:
Saturday, September 26, 12:00 PMTV:
Southern Mississippi heads to Lincoln to face a Nebraska team hoping to rebound from a tough loss at Miami. The Golden Eagles are carrying some offensive momentum following last week’s 56-50 win at Texas State.
Players to watch
- Southern Mississippi junior quarterback Nick Mullens completed 19 of 27 passes for 333 yards and four touchdowns against Texas State. In three games this season, he has completed 64 percent of his passes for 919 yards, eight touchdown passes and three interceptions.
- Nebraska junior quarterback Tommy Armstrong, Jr. has completed 56.9 percent of his passes this season, for 898 yards, nine touchdowns and four interceptions.
- Nebraska ranks next-to-last in the nation in pass defense, allowing an average of 357 yards per game.
- The Cornhuskers rushing defense ranks 19th in the country, allowing only 94.3 yards per game.
- The Cornhuskers average 36.3 points per game; they have scored 14 touchdowns this season.
- At 2-1, Southern Mississippi is over .500 for the first time since the 2011 season.
- The Golden Eagles generated 614 total yards against Texas State, but their defense allowed 591 total yards.
- Senior running back Jalen Richard leads the Golden Eagles in rushing with 325 yards on 51 carries (6.3 yards per carry), with four touchdowns.
- Nebraska leads the all-time series between these two schools 4-1.
- Nebraska sophomore wide receiver De’Mornay Pierson-El remains out indefinitely with a foot injury,
- Senior tight end David Sutton will miss the game for the Cornhuskers with an ankle injury.
- Southern Mississippi junior defensive back Devonta Foster is questionable for the game with an undisclosed injury.