NFL Combine: Obi Melifonwu Wins the Vertical Jump & Broad Jump
By George Yarberry
EFN National Director
Obi Melifonwu, a 6'4 224-pound safety from the University of Connecticut, had a strong showing at the Senior Bowl last month, and followed that up with an outstanding performance at the NFL Combine. His stock is starting to soar as we get closer to draft day.
Melifonwu finished first in the Vertical Jump (44") and the Broad Jump (11'9"). He also finished tied for fifth among defensive backs with a time of 4.40 in the 40-yard dash.
Melifonwu led the Huskies with 118 tackles and four interceptions as a senior.
The draft experts project him to go in the 2nd or 3rd round, but his performance leading up to the April 27 draft, could find him sneaking in as a late 1st round selection. His size, explosive athleticism and play on the field are making GM's reshuffle their boards.
2017 NFL Combine Top 5 Vertical Jumps
1) Obi Melifonwu (Connecticut) S 44"
2) Speedy Noil (Texas A&M) WR 43.5"
3) Marcus Williams (Utah) S 43.5"
4) Robert Davis (Georgia State) WR 41"
5) Myles Garrett (Texas A&M) DE 41"
2017 NFL Combine Top 5 Broad Jumps
1) Obi Melifonwu (Connecticut) S 11'9"
2) Robert Davis (Georgia State) WR 11'4"
3) Fabian Moreau (UCLA) CB 11'4"
4) Malachi Dupre (LSU) CB 11'3"
5) Bucky Hodges (Virginia Tech) TE 11'2"