Alabama 38, Michigan State 0
No. 3 Michigan State simply got nothing going all night long in the Cotton Bowl as No. 2 Alabama dominated the Spartans to move on to the National Championship Game against Clemson. The Spartans amassed just 239 yards and the Crimson Tide nearly doubled them up (440).Player of the game
Alabama freshman wide receiver Calvin Ridley caught eight passes for 138 yards and a pair of touchdowns. This was Ridley’s second 100-yard effort in a row, and fourth of the season.Key stats
- Michigan State’s run game was stuck in neutral, carrying 26 times for just 29 yards (1.1 average).
- Alabama quarterback Jake Coker was an efficient 25-of-30 for 286 yards with a pair of touchdowns.
- Spartans quarterback Connor Cook failed to make a positive impression in his last game before departing for the NFL, completing just 19-of-39 passes for 210 yards and two interceptions.
- Michigan State’s leading rusher in the game -- Damion Terry -- had just one carry.
- No Spartans wide receiver had more than 40 yards.
- Alabama moved to 2-0 in the all-time series with the win.
- The Crimson Tide improved to 13-1, their first 13-win season since 2012.
- Michigan State capped a 12-win season with the loss; the Spartans have recorded double-digit wins in five of the last six seasons under head coach Mark Dantonio.